MECHANIC B TRAVELING Competitive Hourly Rate and Benefits Package
Company: Ward Trucking
Posted on: November 27, 2019
JOB TITLE: "B" Traveling Mechanic REPORTS TO: Shop Foreman OVERVIEW
OF ROLE: To complete repairs, inspections and service of all
company equipment in a safe, timely and cost efficient manner.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handle check-in: proper reporting of units checked through that
are to be added to the shop list and installation of
- Handle proper delivery of co. freight.
- Knowledge of safely operating the tire machine, qualified for
making the necessary tire repairs, knowledge of tire sizes and
designs, and qualified to handle all areas within the tire
- Knowledge of minor repairs to electrical and air systems.
Replacement of minor equipment (Mud flaps, Lights, Radios,
- Lubrication of trailers & dolly's, proper inspection (as
- Proper reporting of accidents; (photos - decals - unit # -
- Properly complete independent trailer P.M. s: state inspections
& p.m. s and federal inspection.
- Knowledge and capability to complete major / minor trailer
- Knowledge and understanding to trouble shoot and perform a
failure analysis of component parts.
- Knowledge of systems located on power and non-power
- Capable of handling a road call and retrieves equipment when
- Ability to perform tractors repairs, component replacement:
water pumps, turbo, 5th wheels, clutches, transmissions, etc.
- Capable to complete welding (Stick, Tig and Mig).
- Qualified to perform dependent P.M. s: A B C on all power
equipment, forklifts and trailers.
- Ability to perform liftgate repairs.
- Ability to drive a tractor & trailer in Ward yard -- on
- Maintain clean work area.
- Diagnose any mechanical, electrical or other breakdown or
failure related to trailers, tractors, & trucks including:- Brake
system - check operation of air valves, cams, brake shoes and
condition of air hoses.- Body - check floor boards for nails and
holes. Check scuff rail to be sure it is properly secured. Check
roof for leaks and check wiring for lights.- Doors - check for
complete / proper latch operation and also, hinges, rollers and
track condition / operation as well as overall operation. Swing and
Roll up doors.- Tires - check condition to assure they are road
worthy.- Ability to operate shop Laptop for diagnostic purposes.
- Complete all paper work and records in an accurate and timely
manner.- Must be able to read and write.- Repair orders - complete
repair order and note all comments.- Parts - identify parts being
used so they are properly charged out.- Shop cards - properly
complete shop cards, daily.- Computer repair order system - "learn
to use". REQUIREMENTS:All employees are expected to maintain
superior customer relations, be involved and committed to
continuous improvement, be willing to train and give aid to fellow
employees. Work in an efficient manner, receive constructive
criticism and praise in a business-like fashion, and maintain a
positive attitude. TRAVEL: As required to outside service center
locations to perform repairs and maintenance as necessary. Period
of stay will be determined on required need. Request for travel may
be given on short notice, dictated by required need. KNOWLEDGE:
- Understanding and application of the safety practices related
to this position.
- Understanding of the proper handling of hazardous
- Understanding and application of DOT, EPA, ICC, and OSHA rules
- Ability to accurately read gauges and dials and accomplish
specialized detail work required. TOOLS: Maintain an adequate
supply of personally owned hand tools to accomplish work. LICENSE:
Must possess a valid commercial driver s license, Class A, and must
possess a valid PA State Inspection license, Class 7. Applicants
with an E restriction (automatic transmission only), or K
restriction (intrastate only) on their CDL will not be considered
for hire until those restrictions have been removed from their
license. TRAINING: Must be willing to participate in training
classes given by or requested by the company. Must be willing to
assist and train other Ward employees in areas of job
classification as needed, which may involve travel to outside shop
locations if necessary. SCHEDULE: Must be willing to work in
different departments, including shift changes and days of the week
to keep the company operating in an efficient manner. ENVIRONMENT:
May be subject to climate fluctuations of a normal shop
environment. May spend 50% of time exposed to heat, cold, dust,
etc. May work with and be exposed to hazardous materials. PHYSICAL
- After job offer, must meet or exceed medical standards of the
US Dept. of Transportation and successfully pass company
- Must be able to pass all medical qualifications for a D.O.T.
physical (even those applicants who do not have a CDL) as stated in
the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Must be able to move, operate, lift, and store specialized
equipment that includes, but not limited to welding equipment, hand
tools, shop machines, and power.
- May require working underneath the trailer, tractor or
- Must be able to enter / exit cab using footholds, ladders and
handholds where available.
- Must be able to spend 80% of the day standing and 20% of the
day walking on surfaces such as concrete, wood, and metal.
- Must be able to successfully pass a post offer physical agility
test, specifically designed for the tasks associated with the
position. The physical demands for this position are "Heavy", as
defined by the Dictionary of Occupational Titles: Exerting 50 to
100 lb of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 lb of force
frequently, and/or 10 to 20 lb of force constantly to move objects,
physical demand requirements are in excess of those for medium
- Specific physical demands include, but are not limited to: -
Carrying: Occasional, up to 56 lbs., up to 25 feet - Pushing:
Occasional, up to 100 lbs., up to 150 feet - Pulling: Occasional,
up to 100 lbs., up to 150 feet - Lifting - Floor to Knee, Knee to
Waist, Waist to Shoulder: Occasional, up to 100 lbs. - Lifting
Shoulder and Above: Occasional, up to 56 lbs. - Balancing,
Climbing, Crouching, Kneeling, Lying down, Reaching (below
shoulder), Sitting: Occasional - Stooping, Twisting, Bending,
Reaching (shoulder or above), Standing: Frequent This job
description does not necessarily represent an exhaustive list of
responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working
conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an
accurate reflection of the job, management reserves the right to
revise the job or to require that other different tasks be
performed as circumstances change. Associated topics: aerodynamic,
boiler, catia, chassis, fluid, machine, mechanical, naval, turbine,
Keywords: Ward Trucking, Altoona , MECHANIC B TRAVELING Competitive Hourly Rate and Benefits Package, Engineering , Altoona, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!