Company: The GEO Group
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Initiates and provides comprehensive nursing care in a correctional
setting while observing and maintaining the requirements of
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs a complete physical assessment and medical history as
required on each inmate entering the correctional system. Medical
problems are referred to the physician for extended evaluation.
- Assists physician with sick call by screening patients and minor
surgical procedures. Treats inmates with problems within
professional capabilities and refers other medical problems to the
- Ensures the implementation of physician's orders. Ensures that
prescribed medications are administered as ordered using the
formulary. Applies knowledge of drugs and therapeutics in
- Makes observation rounds on patients and records in progress
notes. Evaluates symptoms, reactions, and progress of patients on
periodic basis, charts, and reports problems to management.
- Maintains security while dispensing medications and is
continually cognizant of the potential hazard of drug hoarding and
trafficking among inmates. Maintains non-involvement in the
security aspects of care.
- Destroys and properly disposes of all needles/syringes.
- Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as
- Maintains compliance with industry and company policies for
- Documents all inmate contacts. Maintains confidentiality of
- Coordinates Chronic Disease Clinic scheduling.
- Supervises the work flow of the LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse)
staff. Provides input into performance evaluation.
- Associates or Bachelor's degree from a NLN (National League of
Nurses) approved program; graduate of an accredited school of
nursing required. Must have a current, unrestricted license to
practice as Registered Nurse in Pennsylvania. Maintains a current
copy of license on file at the facility at all times.
- Two (2) years of direct work experience preferred.
- Must possess competence in the performance of the following
services: crisis intervention, medical emergencies, physical
assessment, medical nursing care, and psychiatric nursing care.
- Must have the ability to work without direct, immediate
supervision in performing nursing diagnosis, and be able provide
appropriate follow through treatment.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keywords: The GEO Group, Altoona , Registered Nurse, Healthcare , Altoona, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!