Clinician - Med/Surg Palliative Oncology
Posted on: September 9, 2018
Job Title: Clinician - Med/Surg Palliative Oncology
Job ID: ******
Shift: Day Job
Facility: UPMC Altoona
Department: T14 Medical_Surgical
Location: , Altoona PA
If you apply to this position by August 31, 2018, this position is eligible for a generous sign-on bonus! Whether you're a recent Graduate Nurse looking to launch your nursing career, or a seasoned RN seeking a change, now is your moment to find your place at UPMC!
Sign-On Bonus Details (Full Time or Flex Full Time status)
- $10,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over two years of experience
- $5,000 sign-on bonus available for Graduate Nurses and nurses with less than two years of experience
*Part Time status positions are also eligible for sign-on bonus at a prorated amount - $5,000 for experienced nurses with over 2 years of experience, and $2,500 for GNs and nurses with less than 2 years of experience
UPMC Altoona - Clinician Med/Surg Palliative Oncology - Fulltime - Daylight with Rotations, Weekends PRN
Tower 14 is a 41 bed fast paced adult medical/surgical, palliative and oncology unit with telemetry monitoring capabilities. We are the preferred unit to receive and care for low acuity trauma patients. Our nurses are required to obtain trauma education and certification within one year of hire. We are the only inpatient unit in the hospital trained to administer and monitor chemotherapy. The nurses are provided with education and training to acquire a chemotherapy certification within one year of hire. We are also the only unit in the hospital equipped with five palliative care suites to accommodate our palliative patients and their families. We are the unit of choice for abdominal surgeries, including but not limited to colon resections, cholecystectomies, and appendectomies as well as general medical cases such as renal failure, pancreatitis, and acute on chronic illnesses.
What makes Tower 14 an exceptional place to work? We have a team of amazing team members who collaborate to provide excellent care to our diverse patient population. Our wide variety of patients offers each nurse the opportunity to experience various clinical experiences on a daily basis.
As a team member on Tower 14, you will enjoy a supportive team environment, a leadership team that is invested in your growth, and diverse learning opportunities. Come join our team and rise with us on Tower 14.
The Clinician is a highly developed role model of professional nursing practice with focused expertise and accountabilities in one or more of the following: expert clinical practice, teaching/development, and/or evidence based practice. This role partners with management in the achievement of a culture of excellence in professional nursing practice and patient care. The Clinician, under the direction of the Unit Director or Department Manager, assists in the completion of employee evaluations, selection and hiring of staff, and in performance management. The Clinician has the authority, responsibility, and shift accountability for the delivery of nursing care through the use of the nursing process. The Clinician, in collaboration with other health care professionals, applies superior clinical knowledge and skills to achieve quality patient care outcomes. The Clinician is responsible for providing service-based education and clinical expertise for staff including orientation and training, consultation on practice issues and general coordination of clinical activities on a shift basis. They must demonstrate the knowledge and skills to provide care that is relevant to patients under their care, as well as apply principles of growth and development over the life span. The Clinician also must possess the ability to assess and interpret patient data needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age specific needs. The Clinician demonstrates a commitment to the community and to the nursing profession.
* Applies nursing knowledge and skills within the framework of Relationship Based Care, using the nursing process to meet the clinical, psychosocial and spiritual needs of the patient and family. Practices solid verbal and written communication skills, and is able to articulate and translate the patient's condition to other care providers and to negotiate and make recommendations for changes in patient care and unit practices. Patient documentation is comprehensive and promotes communication between caregivers. Demonstrates critical thinking in the analysis of clinical, social, safety, psychological and spiritual issues for the patient care within an episode of care. Incorporates national professional organization as well as business unit and health system's goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction of the patient experience in daily work. Creates a caring and compassionate patient focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families and colleagues. Disseminates new knowledge and innovations through presentations, posters, and publications.
* Demonstrates interest in the development of others and positively impacts the lives of patients/families, peers, and members of the healthcare team through mentoring, education, and knowledge sharing. Actively participates in the role of preceptor for student nurses, nurse interns, graduate and experienced nurses and assists with the development of new preceptors in their role. Mentors and role models quest for continuous learning through formal education and the development of others. Seeks opportunities to share expertise with other members of the healthcare team within and beyond the clinical unit/department.
* Demonstrates knowledge of performance improvement tools and techniques. Continuously improves the quality of care and the work environment of outcomes and the integration of research and best practices into daily work. Shares learning from improvements with other units and/or spreads across the business unit or system.
* Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by building teams and relationships through mentoring and modeling uplifting and positive communication. Coaches colleagues on cultural diversity and addresses workplace horizontal violence and impairment. Demonstrates accountability to self and others for safe work hours, time management and healthy lifestyles.
* Serves as a leader in clinical nursing practice, identifying patient and staff focused opportunities for improvement and leading the change process. Identifies, educates and supports the psychological and learning needs of staff during change and transition. Practices participatory leadership and is an active member of shared leadership at the unit, facility or system level. Assumes formal leadership responsibilities for one or more of the following: quality improvement, evidence based practice, GN or new hire on-boarding. Assists the Unit/Department Leader with the peer review process.
* Demonstrated competence as a Professional Staff Nurse.
* The individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately to the ages of the patients served by his/her assigned unit as specified below.
* They must also demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patients requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs and to provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures.
* Minimum 3 years experience.
* BSN required
* MSN or CNL preferred.
* Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families.
* Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment.
* Exemplary clinical judgment with critical thinking, analytical and problem solving abilities required as related to various aspects of patient care.
* Critical thinking skills necessary to exercise and to lead others in application of the nursing process.
* Mobility and visual manual dexterity.
* Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting and positioning of patients.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Current Pennsylvania licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse. National Certification preferred. CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
* Act 34 Criminal Clearance
* Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
* Registered Nurse
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities Salary Range: $30.83 to $46.35
Union Position: No
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.
Keywords: UPMC, Altoona , Clinician - Med/Surg Palliative Oncology, Healthcare , Altoona, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!