Registered Nurse - Stroke/Neuro Unit
Posted on: December 7, 2018
If you apply to this position, you could be eligible for a generous sign-on bonus! Whether you're a recent Graduate Nurse looking to launch your nursing career, or a seasoned RN seeking a change, now is your moment to find your place at UPMC!
Sign-On Bonus Details (Full Time or Flex Full Time status)
$10,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over two years of experience
$5,000 sign-on bonus available for Graduate Nurses and nurses with less than two years of experience
*Part Time status positions are also eligible for sign-on bonus at a prorated amount - $5,000 for experienced nurses with over 2 years of experience, and $2,500 for GNs and nurses with less than 2 years of experience
GN level candidate starting rate- $24.35 (BSN $25.35)
Experienced RN starting rate - starting rate commensurate with experience (BSN differential: $1.00)
When you are ready to take your career to the next level, UPMC Altoona has a RN Career Ladder, which allows you to enhance your practice and receive additional compensation! Ask your recruiter for details!
.9 FT 7p-7a with rotation and call prn (36 hours/week)
7E Stroke/Neuro Unit
Union position: SEIU
UPMC Altoona is hiring a Registered Nurse to help support its 7E Stroke/Neuro Unit. 7E is a designated stroke/neuro progressive care unit consisting of 20 beds. We are the only unit outside the ICUs trained to care for post-interventional/diagnostic neuro patients. Our team members are specially trained to provide care for our neuro population. Staff are trained in telemetry monitoring, caring for IV drips, and high flow oxygen.
What makes 7E the home for you? Our team is dedicated to working together. We consist of nurses, nursing and medical assistants, unit secretaries, physical, occupational, and speech therapists, case managers who collaborate closely with the neurology and hospital medical staff to provide exceptional care to our patients.
As a team member on 7E, you have the ability to self-schedule and work with a leadership team that supports your life/work balance along with your professional growth. You will provide direct and indirect care to patients utilizing the nursing process, leadership for the nursing team, and contribute to the education of a variety of members of the staff and students.
- Adheres to universal precautions.
- Identifies potential problems and initiates appropriate measures.
- Identifies environmental factors which deter effective patient care, initiates action, and contributes ideas towards resolution.
- Assesses patient and family needs and documents this information appropriately in the computer or on appropriate form.
- Reassesses patient every eight hours, and, as necessary.
- Completes annual competency validation activities.
- Complies with established occupational exposure policies.
- Demonstrates professionalism in providing patient care.
- Engages the medical staff and other professionals in discussion of patient care problems resulting in mutually developed plans of care.
- Revises plan of care, as necessary based on daily evaluation of patient.
- Evaluates patient's outcome based on previously defined goals.
- Evaluates and documents the patient's response to care, teaching, and treatment.
- Utilizes nursing care protocols and standards.
- Carries out and documents procedures according to Hospital Policy.
- Performs technical skills safely and accurately, and demonstrates a working knowledge of equipment.
- Transcribes and implements physicians' orders appropriately.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the physiological basis for the nursing care delivery.
- Demonstrates knowledge of medication and IV therapy administration according to policy.
- Initiates and coordinates health teaching for patients and families/significant other based on individual needs.
- Maintains proficiency and competency in point of care testing as defined in the evaluation criteria established by the laboratory.
- Includes the patient and family/significant other in the formulation of the plan of care.
- Prioritizes patient's needs appropriately.
- Plans, conducts, and documents patient care conferences.
- Maintains a current plan of care for each assigned patient.
- Utilizes appropriate community agencies and other health care professionals in planning care.
- Serves as a consultant to other members of the health-care team.
- Utilizes Bed Management System, Alpha, CPOE, and all other computer systems appropriately.
Education and Formal Training Required:
Must hold a current license to practice nursing in the State of Pennsylvania
Must satisfactorily complete the Nursing Department's orientation program and probationary period.
Must complete NIHSS education prior to end of orientation period, if required.
Experience Required: None
Stroke, Neuro and or Critical care experience preferred.
CCRN is required within two years of hire date.
Must complete the Trauma Nurse Course within one year of hire if required.
Must maintain eight stroke competencies per year if required.
ACLS preferred, BLS required. PALS for specific units.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- National Institute of Health Stroke Scale Certification
- Registered Nurse
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Salary Range: $0 to $0
Union Position: Yes
Associated topics: ccu, coronary, intensive care unit, nurse clinical, psychatric, psychiatric, registed, staff nurse, surgical, tcu
Keywords: UPMC, Altoona , Registered Nurse - Stroke/Neuro Unit, Healthcare , Altoona, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!