Physician - Staff Psychiatrist
Company: US Department of Veterans Affairs
Posted on: February 10, 2019
Provides services in psychiatry to adult and geriatric Veteran patients including assessment, diagnosis and treatment, consultation, program planning, coordination and evaluation. The psychiatrist is expected to document services provided to Veterans in the medical record in an accurate and timely manner as set forth in medical center policy. A. Clinical judgments will demonstrate a primary concern for the adult and geriatric patient care as evidenced by: 1) Adherence to ethical standards of psychiatrists as established by the credentialing services. 2) Treatment of Veterans and their families with respect and dignity 3) Provision of individual therapy using professional standards 4) Establishing good working relationships with peers and members of other disciplines. 5) Actively participating in administrative and clinical committee meetings, multidisciplinary team meetings, staff meetings and peer review activities. B. Will comply with Behavioral Health Service, medical center, VHA and Joint Commission policies and procedures C. Will, in psychiatry, maintain current knowledge and skills regarding the theories, principles, practices and techniques known to the professional. D. On call and emergency call psychiatry coverage will be provided as requested. E. Telepsychiatry for CBOCs. Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM Financial Disclosure Report: Not required Physical Requirements: Applicants for this position must pass a pre-employment medical examination. Must be able to physically and mentally perform the duties of Physician under normal and emergent conditions. Moderate lifting 15-44 lbs and over with assistive devices, heavy carrying of 15-44 lbs and over with assistive devices; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers, both hands required, walking or standing up to 4 hours per day; repeated bending up to 1-2 hours per day; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination; near vision correctable; hearing aid permitted. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019. Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process. NOTE: Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel (for physicians and dentists) in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy. Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined above. Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office. Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:
Keywords: US Department of Veterans Affairs, Altoona , Physician - Staff Psychiatrist, Healthcare , Altoona, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!