RN - SWAT - Central PA Locations - Altoona
Posted on: May 19, 2019
UPMC - SWAT Registered Nurse -Primarily Central PA locations -
Med/Surg & Critical Care - Fulltime - 36hrs, Three 12 hour
The SWAT nurse role is utilized to provide clinical support to
clinical areas throughout all UPMC facilities that have a high need
for supplemental staffing. The SWAT nurse has the authority,
responsibility, and shift accountability for the delivery of
nursing care through the use of the nursing process. The SWAT
nurse, in collaboration with other health care professionals,
applies competent clinical knowledge and skills to achieve quality
care outcomes. The SWAT nurse will be trained and proficient in at
least two specialty areas of nursing and utilized to fill shifts in
the areas of high need including, but not limited to: med/surg,
ICU/CCU, telemetry, step-down, ED, PACU, and long term care
facilities. Nurses must be willing to work at all UPMC facilities
and accept regular rotational assignments as determined by the SWAT
- Assume responsibility for complex assignments and views
problems as challenges.
- Assume the responsibility of charge nurse as needed when
staffing requires an experienced staff nurse.
- Collaborate with physician and care team to ensure quality
- Communicate patient's condition to physician and other key
members of the health care team.
- Comply with established medication use policies.
- Comply with safety policies and procedures including standard
- Constructively receive feedback and direction
- Contribute to the universal unit activities, including but not
limited to responding to call lights and telephone, passing meal
trays and patient transports.
- Coordinate interdepartmental activities to expedite care.
- Coordinate, provide, and evaluate patient/family
- Document in the medical record according to established
- Ensure equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate
department, i.e., Maintenance or Biomedical Engineering.
- Establish appropriate, assertive and professional communication
- Function independently with one day orientation, unless
otherwise specified. Maintain critical thinking skills, analytical
and problem solving abilities as related to various aspects of
patient care. Cultivate professional relationships and
communication in the clinical environment.
- Identify and communicates learning needs to appropriate
- Maintain critical thinking skills necessary to exercise and to
lead others in application of nursing.
- Maintain standards of nursing care and utilizes standards as a
guide for practice.
- Perform work in a timely and productive manner.
- Prior to performing new or challenging skills, requests
assistance and reviews relevant policies and procedures.
- Prior training in two areas of nursing and/or is willing to be
trained in two different specialty areas of nursing as designated
by SWAT team supervisor. Communicate educational needs when
necessary. Maintain contact availability for schedule changes when
needed. Must be flexible in scheduling to the requirements of the
- Provide basic psychosocial support and counseling.
- Report and record all changes observed in condition or behavior
- Respond to emergent situations and initiates appropriate
- Seek out appropriate nursing, physician or other health care
- Serve as a resource for staff and other disciplines.
- Strengthen interdisciplinary relationships with members of the
health care team.
- Strictly adhere to all policies and practices relative to
patient care and hospital related information.
- Take action to improve knowledge, skills and performance based
on feedback or on self-identified developmental needs.
- Utilize nursing process in managing the care of patients
including assessment, interdisciplinary planning, implementation,
evaluation of patient care, teaching and discharge planning.
- Demonstrated competence in professional nursing practice.
- 3 years nursing experience required.
- Must be able to pass all UPMC required testing for Registered
- SWAT Nurses must agree to be available to work 72 hours in a
bi-weekly pay period, including but not limited to: day, night,
weekend and holiday shifts.
- SWAT nurses will be willing and able to report for work at all
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic
and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire NIH/NIHSS
required within 60 days of hire.
- Act 33 Child Clearance with Renewal
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance with Renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Certified National Institute of Health Stroke or National
Institute of Health Stroke Scale Certification
- Older Adult Protective Services Act
- Registered Nurse
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer.
Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Salary Range: $0 / hour
Union Position: No
Keywords: UPMC, Altoona , RN - SWAT - Central PA Locations - Altoona, Healthcare , Altoona, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!