1.0 Full-Time 7a-7p with
T11 Ortho Trauma Neuro
Union position: SEIU
UPMC Altoona is
seeking a Registered Nurse to join our Ortho Trauma and Neuro unit
on T11! This position is for 7a-7p Friday-Sunday or Sat-Monday
every weekend. It does not rotate. It will rotate every other
This position is eligible for
a generous sign-on bonus! Whether you’re a recent Graduate
Nurse looking to launch your nursing career, or a seasoned RN
seeking a change, now is your moment to find your place at
Sign-On Bonus Details (Full
Time or Flex Full Time status)
$15,000 sign-on bonus
available for nurses with over two years of experience
$10,000 sign-on bonus
available for Graduate Nurses and nurses with less than two years
*Part Time status positions
are also eligible for sign-on bonus at a prorated amount - $7,500
for experienced nurses with over 2 years of experience, and $5,000
for GNs and nurses with less than 2 years of
Tower 11 is a 44 bed, orthopedic,
trauma, neurological, medical surgical monitored unit, serving the
adult population. We are the unit of choice for patients with
orthopedic surgeries, neurological surgeries, fractures, trauma,
neurological disorders and medical cases. We are trained in caring
for complex fractures and post-operative care of joint
What makes Tower 11 a special place
to work? We have an amazing team of Nurses, Nursing Assistants,
Physical Therapists, Physicians, and Case Management, who
collaborate to provide exceptional patient care to our diverse
As a team member on Tower 11, you
will enjoy a leadership team that is invested in your growth, a
team philosophy and diverse clinical experiences. Come and join our
team on Tower 11 to enhance your career.
Provides direct and indirect care to patients utilizing the nursing
process. Provides leadership for the nursing team, and contributes
to the education of a variety of members of the staff and
- Identified potential problems and initiates appropriate
- Maintains proficiency and competency in point of care testing
as defined in the evaluation criteria established by the
- Implementation: a. Utilizes nursing care protocols and
standards. b. Carries out and documents procedures according to
Hospital Policy. c. Performs technical skills safely and
accurately, and demonstrates a working knowledge of equipment. d.
Transcribes and implements physicians' orders appropriately. e.
Demonstrates knowledge of the physiological basis for the nursing
care delivery. f. Demonstrates knowledge of medication and IV
therapy administration according to policy. g. Initiates and
coordinates health teaching for patients and families/significant
other based on individual needs.
- Evaluation: a. Revises plan of care, as necessary based on
daily evaluation of patient. b. Evaluates patient's outcome based
on previously defined goals. c. Evaluates and documents the
patient's response to care, teaching, and treatment.
- Identifies environmental factors which deter effective patient
care, initiates action, and contributes ideas towards
- Demonstrates professionalism in providing patient care.
- Planning: a.Includes the patient and family/significant other
in the formulation of the plan of care. b. Prioritizes patient's
needs appropriately. c. Plans, conducts, and documents patient care
conferences. d. Maintains a current plan of care for each assigned
patient. e. Utilizes appropriate community agencies and other
health care professionals in planning care.
- Utilizes Bed Management System, Alpha, CPOE, and all other
computer systems appropriately.
- Complies with established occupational exposure policies.
- Engages the medical staff and other professionals in discussion
of patient care problems resulting in mutually developed plans of
- Adheres to universal precautions.
- Completes annual competency validation activities.
- Assessment: a. Assesses patient and family needs and documents
this information appropriately in the computer or on appropriate
form. b. Reassesses patient every eight hours, and, as
- Serves as a consultant to other members of the health-care
Education and Formal Training
- Must hold a current license to practice nursing in the State of
Pennsylvania; must satisfactorily complete the Nursing Department's
orientation program and probationary period.
- Must complete NIHSS education prior to end of orientation
period, if required.
- Minimum of 6 months of nursing experience required.
- For all positions in Critical Care: CCRN is preferred for
STICU and SPCU within three years. ACLS preferred, BLS
required. PALS for specific units. To attain the RN Career
Ladder Level 2, the RN must complete a total of six (6) objectives
from the Pillar Dashboard.
- The RN may choose any six (6), but must choose at least one (1)
objective from each of the Pillar categories listed in the SEIU
- No objective may be repeated during the Career Ladder
- When assigned to STICU, ICU, T14-Surgical, T11, 5E, SPCU, must
complete the Trauma Nurse Course within one year of
- Must maintain six stroke and six trauma competencies per
- Must attend Trauma Symposium yearly.
- When assigned to LDRP: One year hospital
- ACLS and Neonatal Resuscitation preferred or must be obtained
within 12 months.
- BLS required. Must complete the Trauma Nurse Course and
Fetal Monitoring Course within two years.
- Must complete the Stable Course within one
- Must maintain six trauma competencies per year.
- Experience Required for IV team RN: Must be knowledgeable
and familiar with Hospital SOP regarding IV Therapy. Current
proficiency required in skilled initiation and maintenance of IV
Therapy in all age levels per protocol.
- Previous experience required in initiation and maintenance of
Intravascular Access devices per Standard of Practice.
- Knowledge of trouble shooting methods and prior experience in
administration of Cathflo for poorly functioning or clotted Central
venous lines and ports.
Licensure, Certifications, and
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a
didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- National Institute of Health Stroke Scale Certification
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity
GN level candidate starting rate -
$26.31 (BSN $27.56)
Experienced RN starting rate -
starting rate commensurate with experience (BSN differential:
When you are ready to take your
career to the next level, UPMC Altoona has a RN Career Ladder,
which allows you to enhance your practice and receive additional
compensation! Ask your recruiter for details!