Patient Care Technician II / ICU / Nights
Company: UPMC Presbyterian (Pittsburgh)
Posted on: November 15, 2022
Patient Care Technician II
full time, night rotation 40 hours week
Union position: AFSCME
The Patient Care Technician II is responsible for providing routine
patient care as well as supporting department services in
accordance with established policies and procedures, and may be
directed by the nurse or physician to assure that the highest
degree of quality patient care can be maintained at all times. The
Patient Care Technician II is also responsible for advanced patient
care duties after successfully completing training and annual
competencies and may routinely perform the UPMC nursing core
nursing assistant responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital
signs, I&O, specimen collections and foley care).
- Supports department based projects and quality
- Suggests and supports changes within the department.
- Requests assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as
- Completes department clerical functions as needed.
- Demonstrate understanding of cultural diversity, horizontal
violence and impairment in the health professions.
- Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal
- Strictly adheres to all policies and procedures relative to
patient care and hospital related information.
- Provides patient care including assisting with patient
procedures and activities of daily living.
- Performs the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant
responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital signs, I&O,
specimen collections and Foley care) AND the employee has
successfully completed Basic arrhythmia class AND can perform at
least four of the following hospital identified tasks: phlebotomy,
12 lead EKG, simple dressing, Foley catheter removal, point of care
testing, bladder scan, straight catheter, IV catheter removal,
femoral hemostasis, or IV insertion.
- Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit
- Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard
precautions. Documents in the medical record according to
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively
with all members of the health care team.
- Establishes appropriate and effective communication with other
- Provides instruction to patients and their families under the
direction of the RN. May apply, monitor and remove patient
restraints as per physician or hospital protocol.
- Participates in project and committee work.
- Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships
internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for
actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to patients and
- Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner.
- Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance.
- Contributes to the universal unit activities including, but not
limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal
trays and transporting patients.
- Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning
of the department.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction.
- Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the
- May perform IV insertion, removal and dressing change.
- Assists with physical, respiratory and cardiopulmonary
therapies. Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and
reports changes in patient status.
- May insert foley catheters and perform straight catheterization
as instructed by RN.
- Assumes responsibility for assignment and views problems as
- Participates in self-review as requested by the unit
- Transports cardiac monitored patients within the hospital
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of UPMC Altoona Patient Care Technician
II class with a minimum of one year experience required or
successful completion of first year of clinical work in a nursing
- Graduate of a secondary program in Medical Assistant
curriculum; certification preferred; not required or Licensed
Practical Nurse (LPN) or Emergency medical Technician (EMT) or
Paramedic or currently enrolled in an EMT or Paramedic program
preferred.Successful completion of basic information system
training. Microcomputer experience preferred.Ability to effectively
communication both orally and in writing.
- Nursing Student that has completed one clinical rotation
- Successful completion of a basic arrhythmia course and annual
- May in the course of their duties be in rooms where medications
are stored or may transport medications when they transport
- Transportation of medication is limited from one department to
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a
didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Individuals hired into this role must comply with UPMCs COVID
vaccination requirements upon beginning employment with UPMC. Refer
to the COVID-19 Vaccination Information section at the top of this
page to learn more.
Keywords: UPMC Presbyterian (Pittsburgh), Altoona , Patient Care Technician II / ICU / Nights, Professions , Altoona, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!