TRANSPORTATION INTERN - CASL--Competitive Hourly Rate
Company: Ward Trucking
Posted on: April 7, 2019
JOB TITLE: Transportation Intern--REPORTS TO:-- Regional Service
Center Manager--OVERVIEW OF ROLE:-- To promote the Ward brand on
college campuses with students who are seeking a career in the
Logistics Industry while providing those students with an
opportunity to work in the industry and contribute to Ward---s
success now and in the future.--DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:--
- All interns that are hired for that summer would be brought
into the General Office as part of an orientation. Their activities
would include a meet and greet with the Senior Staff, and
orientation with Customer Service, Inside Sales, Pricing, Safety,
Accounts payable/receivable, Claims, and HR.
- Lunches and dinner would be coordinated to maximize their
exposure to various leaders in the organization and evening
activities would be organized to promote a sense of team.
- Observe, learn and participate in Office functions at RSC
- Shadow RSCM and develop understanding of their role.
- Get overview of Dock Operations
- Learn various office functions and demonstrate knowledge by
performing some of the roles under the supervision of office
- Analyze the office functions and develop a report that includes
a summary of how things currently function and recommendations for
how to improve office administration.
- During the first week the intern would be assigned to a TSM to
shadow them and learn what they do. They would also shadow a
Regional VP/Director of Sales and participate in calling on
- During the 2nd week, the intern would participate in a lead
generation contest with the TSMs in the Region and be expected to
create actual sales opportunities that would be tracked to
determine the amount of revenue that is generated from their
- Review SOP for Inbound and shadow IB supervisor to learn about
load planning during first week
- During 2nd week, under the direction of the IB Supervisor, will
assist in scheduling Inbound Operations
- Review SOP for Throughput and shadow supervisor to learn about
coordinating between IB and OB operations
- During 2nd week, under the direction of the Supervisor, will
assist in scheduling Throughput Operations
- Review SOP for Outbound and shadow OB supervisor to learn about
load planning, AS 400, and the movement of freight during the first
- During 2nd week, under the direction of the OB Supervisor, will
assist in scheduling Outbound Operations
- During their entire internship, the intern would conduct market
research on emerging trends in logistics.
- Based on their overall experience at Ward and their research
findings they would develop a written summary and make
recommendations on how Ward might develop/target future product
offerings to meet the anticipated needs.
- The intern would make a professional presentation to the Senior
Staff at Ward to highlight their research findings and
- Must have a 3.2 grade point average.
- Must have completed Junior year of college.
- Must be a Business or Logistics major.
- Must be customer focused with good people skills.
- Must have excellent communication skills and basic knowledge of
- Must be able to understand and complete forms necessary to the
movement of freight in the industry; for example, road manifests,
freight bills, hazardous material labels, etc.
- Must be able to work the required hours.
- Must participate in random drug testing of all non-DOT
- Must be able to successfully pass a post offer physical agility
test, specifically designed for the tasks associated with the
position. The physical demands for this position are "Heavy", as
defined by the Dictionary of Occupational Titles:Exerting 50 to 100
lb of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 lb of force frequently,
and/or 10 to 20 lb of force
- Specific physical demands include, but are not limited to:-
Carrying:-- Occasional, up to 75 lbs., up to 40 feet- Pushing:
Occasional,-- up to 600 lbs., up to 100 feet- Pulling: Occasional,
up to 600 lbs., up to 100 feet- Lifting - Floor to Knee, Knee to
Waist, Waist to Shoulder: Occasional, up to 75 lbs.- Stooping,
Twisting, Balancing, Bending, Climbing, Crouching, Kneeling,
Standing: Occasional- Sitting: Frequent--This job description does
not necessarily represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities,
skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions
associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate
reflection of the job, management reserves the right to revise the
job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as
Keywords: Ward Trucking, Altoona , TRANSPORTATION INTERN - CASL--Competitive Hourly Rate, Professions , Altoona, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!